Monday, June 2, 2008

Another distraction!

My stack of to-read books keeps getting larger. My mom brought me Mr. Darcy's Daughters by Elizabeth Aston. I read it in a few hours. It was cute, but a little too much like the original Pride and Prejudice. The daughters are almost exactly like Lizzie and her sisters...especially the twins, who are even worse than Lydia! It's all the same story, daughters looking for suitable husbands- though the Darcy girls have an advantage their mother and aunts did not- they have money. Plenty of characters from P&P make an appearance, including Lydia, the horrible Caroline Bingley (now the Lady Warren), and Darcy's cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam, now married with children of his own. He and his wife take charge of the young ladies while Mr. and Mrs. Darcy are away. It would have been nice to see Darcy and Lizzie themselves twenty-plus years after P&P, but they are barely mentioned! Not one of my favorite reads of the year. This is just one of Aston's series of novels about the Darcy family...I probably won't bother with the rest. Well written, but a little boring. We've heard it all before.


No comments: